We are neighbors responding to the proposal for a 589 unit development, including a 19 story residential tower, on the historic site of the California College of the Arts. Upper Broadway Advocates is a group of neighbors who are responding to that proposal. Our mission is to –
- Promote neighborhood evolution that is a model of beauty, sustainability,
affordability and density
- Aspire to reflect the diversity of Oakland and the character of Rockridge
- Pursue a substantial increase in affordable housing
- Focus initially on redevelopment of CCA Campus and surroundings
- Continue the artistic heritage of the site and trees
Oakland needs more affordable housing – including mid- to high-rise structures. Oakland is growing, but we need smart growth. Therefore, we do not want a 19-story sore thumb and a development with only 35 “affordable” units and 554 units at top market rate.